Sunday, January 6, 2019

WIPocalypse 2019 -- Introduction!

Our first WIPocalyps post is supposed to be an introduction of sorts, so I'll just start by saying that my name is Barb, I live in Michigan, and I've been stitching for a long time.  I participated in Measi's WIPocalypse several years ago, but had to stop stitching for awhile due to some health issues.  But I'm now back stitching again, and I remembered how much fun this event was, so here I am for 2019.  I had to dust off my blog, as well, and I can see that I'm going to have to learn blogging all over again!  By the way, Measi herself made me this adorable button using a photo of my own stitchery, so a super big THANKS for that, Measi!

Anyway, on to the subject at hand -- my stitching plans and goals for 2019.  I have a number of WIPs going right now, although I wouldn't call myself a rotational stitcher.  Nor do I really get bored with a project and want to move on to another.  I have several projects going because sometimes it's easier for me to concentrate on one type of design -- for example, if I'm watching TV with the family, I like to stitch on something fairly uncomplicated, so that I can talk and not make a million mistakes.  Complex patterns I usually only work on when I have some alone, quiet time.

So these are my current projects:
This is Thistle, and it's by CM Designs (Carolyn Manning).  As I'm sure you can tell, it's a cross stitched rendition of a quilt pattern, the Broken Star pattern, to be precise.  Carolyn has charted Broken Star in several different colorways, all of them lovely.  My plan is to stitch Thistle and another colorway, called Carnival, together (vertically) on one piece of fabric.  The fabric I'm using is 16 count Rustico Aida.  I rarely stitch on Aida these days, but I wanted a fabric for these designs that looked simple and homespun, and the Rustico Aida fits the bill.  I'm probably 2/3 done with Thistle, so I definitely plan to finish this in 2019.

Here is a picture of Carnival, the design that will go below Thistle.  I plan to get Carnival stitched this year, as well.
This is another current WIP, it's from Long Dog Samplers and it's called Sneek.

Sneek was originally a stitch-along hosted by a company in the UK, but I didn't find out about it til mid-year, so I didn't even try to keep up with the charts as they were issued.  The last chart was issued toward the end of the year so I've got the complete pattern now. You can't tell from the photo, but this baby is huge.  I have the entire border finished, and I couldn't even fit it in the picture!  Anyway, if you're not familiar with Long Dog Samplers, I encourage you to check them out.  The designs are by Julia Line and she is simply phenomenal.  I've done one LD design previously, which is one of my favorite things I've ever stitched.  I'll post a picture of it at some point.  LD designs often have historical elements in them, but Julia is a master at using icons and design ideas in striking new ways.  But I definitely hope to get Sneek done in 2019.  I'm doing it on white 32 count Belfast linen, with two colors of DMC blue.

The photo above is my WIP of Hot Chocolate, by Alessandra Adelaide Needleworks (AAN).  Alessandra is one of my favorite designers, and she has a unique way of looking at everyday things.  Here's a picture of what this one will look like when finished:
I originally started this project on the dark brown linen that was called for, but I ended up giving up after a couple of weeks of work.  I tried every trick in the book for stitching on dark fabric, and I could do it, but my progress was soooooooo slow.  So I changed to a flax colored linen, 32 count, and I picked different browns for the main design.  This is an easy, fast stitch, so I'll definitely get this one done this year.

Speaking of AAN, one of her specialties is hearts -- she has dozens of different ones and I kinda love them all!  So I'm in the process of stitching three of her hearts, which I want to have framed together in some way.  So first I'll show you the two hearts that I already have done:

They look like they're different sizes, but they're really almost the same size, both width and height.  I haven't started the third heart yet, but I'd like to at least get it started, if not finished, in 2019.  Here's the pattern for the third heart:
This one will be done in a sort of burnt orange color.  All three hearts are stitched on 32 count while opal Belfast linen.  "Opal" means that the fabric has sparkly threads that run through it. 

This one is a long-time WIP called Liza's Bouquet.  It's a Ginger & Spice design, and I just love it.  I'm stitching this one on 14 count white Aida with three strands of floss for really full coverage.  I adore this design, but for some reason, I put it down for long periods of time and then keep coming back to it.  It's huge, although I have a fair amount done.  I don't know if I'll get this one done this year, but what I do for sure need to get done is changing out some backstitch that I started.  What happened is that I started doing the backstitching on this design in the called-for color, and I decided to use 2 strands of floss.  Well, I hate it.  I mean, I HATE it.  So my plan is to take out the backstitching that I've done, and start again doing it with a darker brown, and using only one strand of floss.
Here's a bit of the backstitching that I've already done, so maybe you can see the issue.  This design has TONS of backstitching so I didn't want to leave it all for the end, but what I ended up doing was probably worse!  I am just dreading taking out the backstitching that I've already done, but it's on my list for 2019, lol!

This is Little Sheep by Little House Needleworks.  Everyone did these 12 designs a number of years ago, and I started mine, but never finished.  This isn't a priority for me to get done this year, but I do love the designs and it's a fun project to work on.

 And finally, Spring Queen, by Mirabilia.  Yes, she's almost done.  And unfortunately, she's been "almost done" for a few years.  All I have to do is finish the metallic threads and the beading.  But can I make a confession?  I'm terrified of the beading!  There are SO MANY beads!  I am just not sure how the heck to tackle them, especially because I normally work with a hoop.  But I am determined to do the little bit needed to finish this lovely lady this year.

Now for possible new starts.  
This is Summer Beauties by Ellen-Maurer Stroh, and as you can see, I've got it all ready to go.  I think I picked white Jobelan for this design.  I definitely want to get going on this one this year.

And finally, Remembrance, an angel by Joan Elliott.  I adore this design and I've wanted to stitch one of Joan's lovely ladies for a long time.  I have fabric, floss, beads, and metallics for this one all ready, I just need to put the floss on bobbins.  I'd like to stitch this one in memory of my parents.  I'd even though of including a meaningful quote or something at the bottom, so I'll give that some more thought.

I have some other projects kitted up that I may or may not start in 2019.  But, that's the lay of the land right now, and how things are looking today.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's work and their progress through the year!


2 comments:

  1. Some lovely projects in there - look forward to seeing progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment on my blog. You are a no-reply person so I popped over to comment here.
    I love the projects you have chosen, it's definitely Year of the BAP here. Good luck with making progress on them all.
    If you've never stitched one of Joan's Ladies then you are in for a treat. Her charting is a good as a Mirabilia and just as much fun to stitch.

    ReplyDelete