Sunday, February 21, 2010

Deviled Chex Mix


You know, I just LOVE Chex Mix. But what I've noticed is that since it's become widely available in bags in the grocery store, no one seems to actually make it anymore. And that's a shame, because frankly, in my opinion, the bagged stuff just doesn't compare to the taste of the mix that you make yourself at home. Also, the bagged stuff is expensive! Anyway, one day last fall, I needed something to bring into work for one of our many food celebrations, and I decided to make Chex Mix, which I hadn't made in ages. I couldn't get over how delicious it was! Then, a couple of months later, I was reading something online and there was a link to the Chex cereals website. Apparently General Mills (the maker of Chex cereals), exhibiting its marketing genius, has a contest every year for the best new Chex Mix recipe. This year's winner and runners-up had just been announced and the recipes were on the website.

Now, the contest winner was Buffalo Chex Mix, which I can't comment on because I haven't made it yet. (I'm going to, though, so stay tuned.) But one of the runners-up was the mix pictured above, Deviled Chex Mix. I know, I know, it looks pretty much like regular old Chex Mix, doesn't it? Oh, but it's not! I just love things that are "deviled" -- you know, that great combination of sweet and spicy. So when I read the list of ingredients, I knew this was the mix I had to try first. Did my family like it? Let me just say that I've made this recipe SEVERAL times since I first found it. Yup, it's THAT good.

So, without further ado, here is my slightly altered version of the recipe:

Deviled Chex Mix

3 T. sugar
1 tsp. ground chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 T. paprika
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup mixed nuts (I used just peanuts)
3 cups each Rice, Corn and Wheat Chex cereals
1 cup miniature pretzels
1 cup Parmesan flavored fish-shaped crackers

In small bowl, mix sugar with all spices and set aside. In small skillet, heat oil; add spice mixture to oil and heat through for a few minutes. Place remaining ingredients in a large, microwave safe bowl and stir to combine. Pour oil and spice mixture over contents in bowl; stir until mixture is evenly coated with oil and spices. Microwave for 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes. Spread mixture on paper towels to cool; store in airtight container.

Now, I must tell you that my 10-year-old liked this, but he thought it was just a little too spicy. So if you have young kids, take note. When I make this for the family again, I might cut the black pepper to 1/2 teaspoon. But, if I'm making this to take into work or to bring to a party, I might actually ADD a bit of cayenne pepper, maybe 1/4 teaspoon or so. It's wonderfully spicy but I just can't help thinking that a little bit of cayenne would be a yummy addition. It's seriously addicting just as it is, though, so don't say that I didn't warn you.

Well, now I've gone and gotten myself all focused on Chex Mix and how yummy it is. Sunday is my usual grocery day, and I'm thinking I might have to pick up some Chex cereals at the store today, and make a batch of Deviled Chex Mix tonight!

1 comment: