Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanksgiving Menu Cards


Aren't these the cutest Thanksgiving menu cards? The best part is that they took less than an hour to make, from start to finish. I used an A2 (card-sized) Quickutz embossing folder and did the embossing using my Epic Six machine. The folder dry embosses the turkey at the top and the "Happy Thanksgiving" at the bottom of the card, resulting in a textural, raised image. The second photo shows a close up of one of the embossed areas. I achieved the different colors by using Co'ordinations cardstock in two different colors, then sanding lightly over the embossed areas to reveal the core color of the cardstock. If you aren't familiar with Co'ordinations, it's textured cardstock that has core colors that are different (sometimes slightly different, sometimes startlingly different) than the surface colors. They have several color lines, including whitewash, which is what I used for the light card, and vintage, which I used for the green card.

After embossing, sanding and trimming the blank cards, I typed and formatted my Thanksgiving menu on my computer using a graphics program. I could have used Word or Word Perfect, as well. I sized my text box to be about 3-1/4" square, so that it would fit nicely onto the blank card. I printed the text box onto plain printer paper, making sure that I didn't print the "outline" of the box. Then I carefully positioned and adhered one of the blank cards on top of the sheet with the printed menu on it (using a temporary adhesive), and ran the whole thing through the printer again. I repeated the process with the remaining blank cards.

I then inked the edges of the menu cards and matted them onto dark brown cardstock. I'm going to put one on each person's dinner plate for Thanksgiving dinner. If you wanted to make cards that stood up, you could emboss the front of a folded piece of cardstock, instead of using a single, flat piece, as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment